Dr. Newman received a B.A. with Honours in Philosophy and English from Victoria College, University of Toronto, in 1957. This was followed by a B.D. from Emmanuel College, University of Toronto, in 1961 and ordination as a minister in The United Church of Canada. He completed a PhD in 1964 at the University of St. Andrews in Scotland with a Dissertation titled: The Ontological in the Theology of Paul Tillich. He served as Minister of Arden Pastoral Charge in Ontario and then between 1966-75 he was Head of the Theology Division (now The Divinity School) in The Chinese University of Hong Kong. Between 1975-88 he held the position of McDougald Professor of Systematic Theology in St. Andrew’s College, University of Saskatchewan, and was named Professor Emeritus in 1995. He left academia to serve as National Secretary for Interfaith Dialogue with The United Church of Canada between 1991-94 and followed this up as Minister in Kamloops United Church. He is now retired in Sooke, B.C., Canada.
He has written many sermons, lectures, articles and has published two books and a PhD Thesis:
- The Ontological in the Theology of Paul Tillich: PhD Thesis, University of St. Andrews, 1964. PhD Thesis: The Ontological in the Theology of Paul Tillich
- Newman, P. W. (1983, 2017). Humanity and Spirit: Reasons for Hope. Image Publishing, Toronto. Spirit Christology Book on Amazon Kindle
- Newman, P. W. (1987, 2014). A Spirit Christology: Recovering the Biblical Paradigm of Christian Faith. Lanham, MD: University Press of America. Humanity and Spirit Book on Amazon Kindle
Paul has also participated in two podcasts available on the Trinities.org website. Links are available here..
- Part I.. http://trinities.org/blog/podcast-187-dr-paul-w-newmans-spirit-christology-part-1/
- Part II.. http://trinities.org/blog/podcast-188-dr-paul-w-newmans-spirit-christology-part-2/
Please feel free to read his works and contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org for dialogue.